Saturday, March 16, 2013

Let me be transparent for a minute...

I have a wonderful home, it's new, exciting and sometimes it still smells like fresh paint. I have absolutely loved decorating and I have gotten, pretty much everything how I want it. Yes, there are definitely some projects left. I'd like new counter tops, a back splash and new kitchen appliances, I'd love a yellow bathroom and a barn door separating the finished and unfinished portions of the basement, I'd like white shutters and a different colored front door, this list could go on and on. But, I'll spare you my honey-do list. In due time, everything will come together as it should.

But, then I get on Pinterest and start browsing through the "home decor" section and I see all of these beautiful homes that are much more grand or differently decorated. They have all the latest design ideas and are taste-makers. There are too many great ideas for things we could have done in our home.

That's when I should put the iPad away and be happy. But, I don't. I keep going. Growing more and more discontent. I keep thinking that we should have done this or that instead of whatever we did do. This is a problem. Alex brings me back down to earth, a lot. He tells me that our house design doesn't allow for open shelving in the kitchen or a slide to the basement, which helps. However, I shouldn't have these problems. I'm being discontent, not appreciating what I do have because I'm lusting over what I don't have.

So, I'm going to go a week without Pinterest and hopefully, that will help. Here goes!

1 Timothy 6:6-8 {esv}
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

Philippians 4:11 {esv}
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned whatever situation I am in to be content.

1 comment:

  1. I do this exact same thing Abby. It is such a stupid thing, having something great (and much better than a large percentage of the world) then feeling like its not enough or could be better. My resolve? I must maintain healthy boundaries: I am not them and they are not me. I can appreciate their amazing projects and ability to DIY pottery barn furniture for $20 all while homeschooling seven children, but alas that is not me. :) Good luck with the pinterest fast, I hope it does you well.....

    ReplyDelete