Thursday, May 30, 2013

Strawberry-Banana Bread Goodness!

As of late I have very little time to cook...or energy. But after a long weekend of catching up on sleep and being lazy ie: letting my mom do all the cooking (thanks Mom) I decided to bake! I found a strawberry banana bread recipe on Pinterest and decided that my black banana's didn't have to go in the trash. 

I modified the recipe a little. I didn't use anything organic and I didn't have plain yogurt so I substituted strawberry and I wasn't about to buy unrefined granulated sugar but, everything turned out great!


Yum!

Ingredients (The Abby Modified Version)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 1/2 overripe medium-sized bananas, peeled & mashed 
  • 2 Tbsp plain yogurt (I used whipped Strawberry)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped and hulled strawberries- *quick fun fact-you can hull a strawberry with a straw after you cut the leaves off!
Directions
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter, oil, or spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a medium bowl using a handheld electric mixer) beat together the sugar and eggs on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
On low speed, slowly drizzle in the oil. Add in the mashed bananas, yogurt, and vanilla extract; mix on low speed just until combined.
Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture and chopped strawberries just until dry ingredients are fully moistened (no flour streaks should be visible).
Pour batter in the prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12th of the loaf): 222.1 calories


Original recipe, directions and nutritional info from http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/strawberry-banana-bread/

2 comments:

  1. Sounds and Looks Yummy!! I think I might try it sometime! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good! I've been eating it all week for breakfast. I think this recipe is a keeper!

      Delete