Saturday, August 20, 2011

Strive...to save

I don’t want to be poor. I know that a lot of young (or older) married couples have money woes and Alex and I do not want to. So he, being the accountant/financial smarty-pants that he is, sat down with me and we made our budget. I have never lived with a budget. Mind that I haven’t lived like a queen, but I have usually gotten what I need and most of the things I have wanted. Anywho, back to the story…We have a budget now. It’s pretty typical - rent, electricity, cable, food, gas, car payment, savings, yada yada…We outlined month 1 and agreed to try to keep as within the budget as we could.


Fast forward two days. We are in St. Louis visiting new baby Katie Sue and shopping. In the car before any shopping we discussed the budget again and smiled. However, the next time we were in the car one of us (me) was not smiling. I was pouting -pouting like a three year that didn’t get her way.

You see, I have been on the search for a new school bag. Not a purse and not a backpack, but a carry all bag that has room for my camera, kindle, purse like items and of course school things. Don’t worry, Macy’s had one. But it was a wee bit lot out of our price range. Ringing up at $188, Dooney & Bourke has a lovely gray cross body, carry-all tote...which of course is not within our one income budget. Hence the pouting.

So, after pouting all the way across the river, throughout dinner and Khol's...I found my new dream bag! Marshall’s had my cross body carry all bag for only $24.99!!

Which leads me to this week’s Strive moment: I need to strive to be a better saver. Alex didn’t tell me no in Macy’s because he’s mean and doesn’t love me. He told me no because he wants to save for our future, something that I need to be doing too.    
Proverbs 21:5- The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty come only to poverty.
$188 Dooney & Bourke
No name, Jewel tone blue for $24.99






















1 comment:

  1. Dooney & Bourke is over rated anyway! Alex has his hands full with you :-). But I know you weren't seriously expecting to get it! Love the new bag and you too!

    ReplyDelete