Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Strive...to vent

I absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, HATED 7th grade. It was the worst year of my life....ever! I was going through that awkward phase of life that everyone goes through...hopefully I'm not the only one who experienced the awkward weird phase. It was bad, I promise. If you had to endure it with me, I'm very sorry. Becky likes to remind me that I wore a button necklace and men's neck ties. Conveniently I can't find any pictures as evidence.

To supplement my awkwardness my mom was convinced I should still be playing the piano and going to lessons even though I never wanted to play, let alone practice. But, every Wednesday my mom dropped me off at the church for my five o'clock piano lesson.

I now think that, had I put more effort into the piano I could now be at Julliard. But, I didn't and I don't think that my 5 minute cram session of practice before my lesson convinced my teacher either.  What I did take out of my piano lessons were priceless.Yes, I learned that Good Boys DFine Always (Get it?! :)) but, I also learned the importance of having someone to talk to.

My piano teacher was also a counselor. Even though I thought I could trick her into believing that I practiced 30 minutes a day every day, I'm pretty sure she knew better. But after I horribly pounded  wonderfully performed my lesson, she let me talk and talk and talk. She let me tell her everything that was going on in my life, what was bothering me and all my 12 year old problems. She listened and did not judge me or tell me what to do or that what I was experiencing was normal and to get over it. She just listened.

She taught me not only how to read music, but the importance of someone to vent to. Which leads me to the Strive moment of the week. Do you have someone to vent to? Someone you know, love and trust? Someone who won't take what you're saying personally or be offended? Someone to vent to can make your life so much better. You don't have to walk around carrying all the stresses of life by yourself. A five minute phone call to your venter can really make a difference.

Happy Venting!

Ecclesiasties 4:9-12 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor; If they fall down, they can help each other up. But pity those who fall and have no one to help them up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.  

P.S. Make sure to thank your venter for letting you vent to them...and make sure to return the favor....it feels good to listen some times too!

No comments:

Post a Comment